Uma's Brainwaves

Monday, May 01, 2006

Of ....(gives up) nothing in particular

I think you can never truly appreciate how blessed silence and peace is until you have had kids around you.My paternal uncle and aunt arrived from Goa last fortnight and I was at mercy of my two cousins aged four and five till yesterday.Being the youngest in my family I posses absolutely no skills with kids.Babies are fine but children like my cousins drive me out of my mind.These two little brats posses extraordinary skill at getting what they want by crying,kicking,punching,screeching,pulling,breaking,biting and what not.They also seem to have a microscopic sight when it comes to detecting the most minuscule difference between things that we get for both of them which are as identical as is humanly possible.So with my mom in the kitchen,my dad at work,my brother at college and my chacha chachi generally having a good time I was expected to break the his-cup-is-bigger-than-mine and his-ball-is-a-brighter-shade-of-pink-than-mine arguments.The good thing about them was that they believed anything that I said.I told them that the old bulb holder in my study was used to hang kids like them upside down by the ankles when they don't listen to their elders and that the kabariwallah carried away kids in his sack when told to do so.
Anyway, now that they are back in Goa I am missing them sorely.Nobody had ever played ping pong on my back before them.

I am learning to swim.It's just been a week or so.I can float and do a bit of swimming now but with
the help of a float.I initially had problems with keeping my head under water and holding my breath.
I would panic and come up to the surface sputtering and gasping for dear air.But now I have started
realising that I have enough air in my lungs and can now stay down for quite a while.I have only had one scare
in the pool till now.I was learning to propell myself by pushing my feet against the wall of the pool.
I lifted my feet off the floor and floated pretty neatly until something went wrong and I lost my balance.
I plunged right in and swallowed a lot of water through my nose and mouth, came up and went down again.
My dad who was swimming nearby noticed what was going on hauled me up by the hair and pulled me to
the edge of the pool to spit out the water.I was alright (Stop mourning will you) but shaken. But even if I drown and die my spirit will come back and swim in the pool.Such is the feeling of being underwater.After you get over the initial
feeling of being disorianted,out-of-control and drunken(I had a wild impulse to giggle when I entered
the water for the first time) you start enjoying the freedom and the sheer weightlessness.Floating in water
is the closest you can get to the feeling of flying.

I have got a new set of Creative 5.1 speakers for my computer to call my own (The audiophile in me wipes tears of joy)
The sound is divine. I can hear the window panes rattling when I play Rasmus,Massive Attack,U2,Metallica,Green Day and the likes.Percussion instruments in my dad's collection of classical music sound unbelievable.These speakers have given a new meaning to my 8 GB currently on HDD music collection.Currently on my favourites list are:

Rasmus-In the shadows,First Day of my life,Not like the other girls,Keep your heart broken(Love each and every one of them)
Fort Minor-Remember the name
Gangster-Bheegi Bheegi (It's nothing like the usual moronic,crappy, weepy, dopey, saccherin sweet bollywood music.)
Corrs-Runaway(Very soulful)
Bryn Adams-Here I Am
Sean Paul-Temperature
Asian Dub Foundation-Fortress Europe(A number from NFSU.I get a kick whenever I hear this)
Madonna-Justify my love

Gotta go.Lunch is served.

Bluegenemaid

5 Comments:

Blogger Ayush Gupta said...

Ah, reminds me of the time I used to go swimming a couple of years back. I remember throwing the swimming goggles around in the pool and then catching them. Such fun. =)

1:44 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Tikna said...

Thanks for linking to indiblog, your link is on its way, most probably it has arrived by the time you read this.

11:40 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Shashank Shekhar said...

Swimming is really a fun thing to do.. I'm going to begin swimming lessons from today. The only thing I'm afraid of (sorta) in life is drowning, that's why I want to confront it by learning swimming. Wierd isn't it? ;-)

10:59 PM, May 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee, uma, i was getting hopeful with the drowning part of your story, but you drowned my aspirations(wink)but since u r still swimming i wont giv up hope.ciao

5:56 AM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posting is very good and theme base for which it is liking to every people. Thanks a lot!!! Degree Program | nursing degree

12:07 AM, June 03, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home